• Welcome to the BMW Scooter Forums. Member registration disables ads and allows you to post and share. Register Here.

fuel injectors and oil filter and fuel filter

Elmer8403

New member
Joined
Nov 21, 2021
Messages
21
Location
Fox River Grove il
Visit site
I have found that the injectors on my gt650 are not working.Can some one recommend a good injector aftermarket is ok with me.Also what motor oil and filter should I use in this 26000 mile used 650t i bought. also do i need a fuel filter? Also the fuel pump is working.Also what plugs does this bike take and what size spark plug wrench do you use to take out spark plugs.Thank you
 
Can't help with aftermarket fuel injectors but MOTUL 15W50 and a BMW filter work perfectly for me over four C650 GT's.

For spark plugs, NGK LMAR8D-J. The socket is 14mm (pro tip: if you can get your hands on a Toyota Prius spark plug socket, it fits perfectly. It's extra long, thin-walled and magnetized to pull the plugs up and out -- if memory serves, they're at a 45-degree angle). You need to drop the radiator to get clear access to the plugs. Once you do that, it's wide open spaces, as opposed to a Burgman 650 that will cost you some bloody knuckles. I took the front tire off to make access even easier, although it's always a delicate dance not to bump into the bike when it's propped up by a jack and 2 x 12's under the front forks. There is a special BMW tool for pulling the coils off but it's expensive and I improvised, as seen in the notes below ....

"NOTES SPARK PLUG CHANGE: Lower the radiator by removing screw clips on top sides and bottom center of radiator and two T30 bolts near radiator cap. Loosen the overflow tank and lift up the radiator out of its holders (top sides) and rest it on something solid. For spark plugs, the 14 mm Prius spark plug socket is a perfect fit. Apply gentle pressure behind top of coils using 10” socket extension for leverage to push coils gently forward and out. Remove coil connectors by pushing the front clip open and pushing up on lip of connector with tiny (eyeglass) flat blade screwdriver while gently pulling up on the wires. Be patient. It will come up and out. This is not a typical system where you squeeze in to release it; has to be pushed and pulled out. Old spark plugs were dark at gap point but had lots of life left at 21k. BMW’s recommendation of new ones at 24,000 miles is solid. TORQUE spark plug: 12 Nm (8.85 ft. lbs.)"

IMG_6214.jpg
 
Last edited:
Elmer, I keep seeing this and wonder how you determined the injectors aren't firing, only sure way I've found is with a Noid test light. I've got to wonder how the bike was running before it quit, how did it quit, (running fine, shut it off now won't start, began running ragged then stopped at a red light ect...) I would begin with testing the body grounds for loose connections/corrosion, ECM fuse and other items that can cause it to suddenly not want to start. You need air, fuel, compression, spark and proper timing to run. Make sure you hear the fuel pump, check the air cleaner, pull a plug and check for spark (could be an ignition fuse) do the plugs smell of gas or are they wet, then God forbid, are you in time. Could be something simple, let's hope so. Sometimes I have to sit back and remind myself of the basics, hope this helps.
 
Yes we checked for spark yes ,fuel pumps, cant remove the spark plugs I dont have a plug wrench its on order.So its getting gas to the injectors.Going to pull and clean the injectors after Christmas.I bought the bike not running.Have never heard it run.I think the injecters are dirty or faulty. Also uses the computer tool to check for codes and all codes are clear.Not sure on a fuel injected bike if you spray fluid in the air box should it pop?
 
I suggest you find timing marks and insure the engine hasn't jumped time, before posting this I went on a GOOGLE search and asked how to determine if engine was in time, there is the usual junk that contains a few of the words in the question, but also links to manuals showing the location of the timing marks. Typically, spraying starter fluid into the air box shouldn't cause a "pop" or backfire, but trailing through the intake path I can see where it might, an exhaust valve open when the computer fires a plug will cause a backfire. Good news is, if you've jumped time and the engine still turns freely and without noise, you can probably put it back in time with a new tensioner and be back to riding.
 
I found today that all 3 yellow relays are rusted from water getting in them. Not sure what these relays arefor but I am replacing them. Could they make the fuel injetors fire? These relays are in front of the battery on gt650
 
I have found that the injectors on my gt650 are not working.Can some one recommend a good injector aftermarket is ok with me.Also what motor oil and filter should I use in this 26000 mile used 650t i bought. also do i need a fuel filter? Also the fuel pump is working.Also what plugs does this bike take and what size spark plug wrench do you use to take out spark plugs.Thank you
I took this scooter to bmw and they did a leak down test and it was not good.Motor no good.Thanks for all the help
 
Back
Top